children in our community get their breakfast and lunch at school at a
reduced price or for free. But when school is closed on weekends and
holidays, many of these children go hungry.
The Carthage BackPack Program provides children in need with bags of nutritious food they can take home.
Why the BackPack Program?
Good nutrition is critical to good health and success at school. Children who don’t get enough to eat often have:
- Trouble concentrating
- Lower math and English scores
- Difficulty interacting with peers
- Trouble finishing tests on time
- Lower graduation rates
participating in BackPack Programs have shown improvement in their
energy levels and ability to concentrate, as well as a reduction in food
insecure behavior such as asking for seconds or stealing food.
What can you donate?
- Canned Foods (fruits, vegetables, sauces, soups, peanut butter, jelly)
- Dried Foods (pasta, beans, mac & cheese, crackers)
- Toiletry items (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, tooth brushes)
Where can you drop off donations?
- Send it in with your child
- Middle School Office
For more information click here CCSD Backpack